Running the webapp¶
For development work, Kiln provides the Jetty web application server, pre-configured, to minimise setup. To use it:
- Run the build script found in the KILN_HOME directory. On Windows double-clicking the BAT file is sufficient.
- Open the URL http://localhost:9999/ (for the root of the site).
- To stop the web server, press Ctrl-C in the shell window.
The built-in Jetty web server is not suitable for production
deployments, and a more robust solution such as Apache Tomcat
should be used. Kiln uses the standard webapp structure, so deployment
is a matter of copying the files in
webapps into the server’s
existing webapps directory. Under Tomcat, at least, the Solr webapp
requires an extra step: adding a
solr.xml file specifying a Tomcat
TOMCAT_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/. An example of
such a file is provided at
Kiln includes a task that allows to create a static version of the website. To execute it:
- Run the build script as described above to start the web application.
- Re-run the build script supplying